Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Tone up and tune up

I'm loving my renewed energy for working out. I'm running at least an hour a day and I'm working on building muscle and toning up with machines, free weights and pilates. It's been so great.

However...I just wish I had more than 90 minutes to spend at the gym every day. 90 minutes barely scratches the surface, as after 60 minutes of cardio all I have time for are 2-3 weight training machines/sets and some stretching. That's why I'm finding even more little ways to tone up and weight train throughout the day when I'm not at the gym.

I know I'm not the only one who wants to work out but really doesn't have enough time to get it all in. Seriously, that's my entire reason for writing this blog! To share my little tips and tricks with others out there who just want to be healthy and happy even when they feel like they just can't fit one more thing into their day.

Try these moves anywhere, any time for a quick tone up to add to your total work out for the day:

1. Kitchen Calf Raises
While cooking dinner (or breakfast or lunch), stand with feet hip width apart, with your feet turned out slightly or straight forward. Stand with straight legs and proceed to lift yourself up to stand on the balls of your feet (standing on your "tippy toes") and then slowly lower back down to stand flat, holding onto your counter, stove, sink or significant other for balance. Repeat in sets of 10, 20, 30 or even fifty, three times total. This uses your own body weight to tone your calves, when all you'd be doing instead was standing anyway. A perfect way to build some sexy muscles while getting delicious food on the table.

2. Abs while sitting
While sitting at your desk, on the couch, on the train to or from work, in a car, or anywhere your but might be glued for a little while, you can give your abs a proper workout as effective as sit ups. Sitting up tall, tense your ab muscles and hold for 3-5 seconds then release. Repeat this 10 or 20 times each set for 3 sets. Increase reps and sets depending on how much time you have and how sore, or not sore, you're feeling. Your summer bikini body will thank you in a few weeks :)

And just in case you do find yourself with some extra time, here is one way, a favorite of mine, to get a work out, have a great time and be helpful to a friend or family member!

1. Play with kids.
Whether you are the proud parent of a few little ones or you have some adorable nieces, nephews or neighbors around you, take some time out to help a friend and get a little lighthearted laughter in your day by watching the kids for a bit. Kids have all the energy in the world, so why not let them run you around for a bit? Play, jump, chase eachother, toss them (safely!), dance with them. Be silly and active in ways only being around kids would allow you to do. :)


Time is something I know we never get enough of, especially when it comes to taking care of our bodies. I really do wish I had more time to spend at the gym, but for now, I'll take all the little sneak-in exercises I can get!

No comments:

Post a Comment