Thursday, April 21, 2011

Back to the real world

Man, cruises are nice. Everything you need is right at your fingertips, any time of day. It was nice to spend a week on a cruise with my new husband, relaxing and indulging in life's little pleasures and wonderful moments.

We sat at watched the sunset every night on the deck, we spent our days at art auctions, towel folding classes and...oh yeah, spent HOURS AND HOURS in the gym. :) It was the most relaxed I've ever been.

But I have to say, THANK THE HEAVENS for the gym! If I hadn't spent at least 2 hours working out per day, I woulda come off that ship weighing so much more than I do. It is NOT a myth that on a cruise, the average person gains 1-2 pounds PER DAY.

This bears repeating:

The average person gains 1 to 2 pounds PER DAY on a cruise.

On my 8 day cruise, the average person gained 8-16 pounds by the end of the week. Yikes.

Me and Dave staved off most of the weight gain by
a) Being Active: Going to the gym, going for scenic walks on the on-board/outdoor jogging track, and engaging in active activities on shore.
b) NOT DRINKING

That second one may be difficult for many people but not drinking alcohol on board saved us a TON of calories and more money than we can count. Think about the costs:
Each drink ranges from $5 (beers) to $11 (cocktails). I saw many people drink at least 5 beers and a few cocktails each day, and that was before midnight, so who knows what they drank afterward. I'd say that's an average cost of $50-100 per day in booze. Wow. Between me and Dave we saved between $400-800 on that alone! Nice :)
Calorie-wise, we saved even more. With each beer being between 120-200 calories per bottle and each cocktail ranging from 300-1000 calories (the higher end being frozen, fruity drinks and sweet cordial concoctions), the range of excessive calories goes from a surprising 1500 to over 5000 calories per day....just in liquids! No thanks!

So we did well there, but the food was another story. I was easier for me, being vegan, to skip the heavy foods and keep from overindulging too much. But I did eat much more in quantity than I'm used to, and I ended the week with a 3 pound weight gain. I'm sure I can get these pounds off in no time, and it was nice to indulge a little, so I have no regrets. (For more on how I got to eat all the yummy foods I wanted, stay tuned for a NEW BLOG from me about vegan life and veganism on tour!)
Dave indulged alot, and I'm glad he got to eat some delicious food and sweets. But he has some gym time to put in to make up for it, and I'm charged with the task of being his trainer, lol. I guess we'll really put this marriage to the test here!

The point I'm trying to make is that while it is dangerous to overindulge on vacation, as it will typically always result in weight gain, if you balance yourself with a little give and take when it comes to eating and drinking, and keep up with your workouts while you're on vacation, you can let yourself enjoy all that is around you while minimizing consequences. It was nice to let go and enjoy some of the tastiest foods I've ever had, but I also knew that gym time was mandatory in order for me to fully indulge each day. And I never missed a work out, knowing that I wanted to feel free to eat and eat without guilt.

So next time you're heading off for a relaxing retreat or getting into a string of events (i.e. wedding + honeymoon + stress of finals week) like I did where food and overindulging was just part of the deal, try to make sure you leave time for your workouts and put the effort into taking care of your body so you can enjoy the indulgences while you can.

For me, I'm enjoying getting back into my routine of diet and exercise, but I will also say that I can't wait to get back on a cruise ship sometime. Like for our first anniversary! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment