Saturday, October 16, 2010

Busy times call for small measures

I'm sorry it's been so long since I've posted. I recently discovered that playing catch up isn't nearly as fun as playing catch. You know what IS as fun as playing catch, though? PLAYING CATCH. Something I should do more often: play sports and/or games.

So I've come across a few ideas for how to burn 200 calories without even thinking about it, and most of it involves playing games or doing things you would have done anyway. On a busy day (like today: workout in the morning, double shift at work, and then homework when I get home), its nice to know that I can fit in these little calorie burners as I get through the long hard hours.

1. Take the stairs - It only takes 15 minutes of your time and all you need is one flight of stairs (which I'm sure we all have someplace at work). Sprint up and down the stairs 5 times. Then walk up and down the stairs 10 times. Repeat again or twice more. You'll work up a sweat in no time and be back to your desk 200 calories lighter. Pretty sweet deal!

2. Rake it in - It's fall, and if you live in a place that actually has seasons (Florida lacks this aesthetic...) its time to rake the leaves on your lawn. The bad news is that yo have to find a way to fit raking into your schedule for the season, like usual. The good news is that raking leaves for 30 minutes burns a nice 200 calories or more. Way to multitask!

3. Swing time! - Sneak off to a playground and find the swing set, you know, one of those apparatuses that cause instant nostalgia and a craving for juice boxes. Check out these fun times that burn fat:
**Swinging on a swing set burns up to 100 calories every 20 minutes
**Cartwheels and somersaults in the grass can burn up to 50 calories in 10 minutes
**Playing a game of tag with your kids, nieces, nephews or neighbors can burn more than 100 calories every 15 minutes.

4. Make out - Yes, you read this correctly. Make out with your significant other. Do it! They'll enjoy it...a lot. They'll think you're awesome for it. And you'll BOTH burn an impressive, and enjoyable, 20 calories per 15 minutes. Go to the next base and your calorie burn factor increases. Nice to know, huh? :)
**DISCLAIMER - I never advocate this stuff without saying firmly that practicing safe sex is the ONLY way to properly use sexuality as a fitness tool. Please "work out" responsibly.

So yea, these little things really help me out in a pinch or on my day off when my friends and family want to hang out instead of letting me work out in solitude like usual. Plus I need to have more fun. I think tomorrow, I might set up a game of sling tag or even Quidditch with my friends if they're up for it. If not, I think I'd love to do some cartwheeling and swinging in the park. I'm excited about this!

1 comment:

  1. Haha, your disclaimer on "working out" with your significant other had me giggling in class. This blog is truly great :)

    ReplyDelete