Wednesday, January 19, 2011

All you can gorge

So I'm hurting today. My tummy is not very happy and it is all my fault. I decided to go to an all you can eat sushi/Chinese buffet last night, and despite all of my efforts, I completely ignored any amount of self control I might have in me. I waaaaaaaaaay over did it. It was so delicious...but so painful.

The question is: was it worth it? Well, at the time, it was. The food was amazing. My favorite things were the candied sweet potatoes and the fried bananas (yes, at a Chinese buffet. Welcome to the south, lol). But I didn't stop when I was full... I just kept shoveling the yumminess into my mouth until I literally felt like I was going to burst open. It hurt so bad.

And today I am still suffering for it. Bad heartburn, cramps, and general distaste for any kind of food have ruined my day today. I'm hoping that a nice yoga class that I'm about to go teach will help a little, but really, I just need to NOT let myself feel this way in the first place.

There is NOTHING healthy about going to an AYCE buffet. I don't care if it's a salad and fruit bar, if you eat more quantity than your body needs, you are doing yourself quite a disservice. There's almost no way to go to a buffet and not over eat, which I'm realizing is absolute hell on your body. Especially with the economy the way it is, most people would be inclined to "get their money's worth" at a buffet, which is a recipe for nutritional disaster.

Next time you feel like going to a buffet, try to persuade yourself that the heartburn, aches and possible up-chucking that may follow is simply not worth the $10.99 price. Besides, for $10.99, you can probably get something a whole lot healthier and better quality at another restaurant down the road.

Feeling really hungry? A buffet is the worst thing you can go to on an empty stomach, because you are guaranteed to gorge and binge eat in the worst way possible. Binge eating is really unhealthy. Forget calorie counting, simply taking in to much food at one time is way too hard for your body to process and you can cause a world of problems like blockage of your systems and more of the food gets stored as fat energy.

Next time you're up for something hearty, go for a footlong sub from places like Subway, Quiznos or Firehouse for less than $8. How about a personal pizza with fresh mozzarella for $8 at your local pizza joint, or some moo goo gai pan and white rice from your favorite Chinese take out for $6.50? Better prices, better portions and no painful tummyaches from overeating.

I'm learning this lesson today, the hard way. Let's just hope I even make it through Yoga class...especially since I'm the teacher!

No comments:

Post a Comment