Friday, January 21, 2011

What you eat

Is truly what you are. Right now, I feel sluggish and tired and I'm constantly hungry. Well, this is because I'm not eating enough protein and filling myself with white flour pizza with only a sprinkle of fresh mozzarella cheese and marinara. This is tasty, fresh, and somewhat healthy...but all it is is simply carbs. That's not the makings of a good diet, especially for someone who works out as much as I do.

So I'm going to use this blog to post some of the foods I am going to fill my diet with instead of pizza so that you can find some good-for-you, filling, and nutritious foods to cook and buy for yourself as well. My main goals are to increase my protein to help me have more energy for all of the dancing and working out I do, and to eat foods that have higher fiber content and less white flours so that I feel fuller throughout the day and don't graze at the pizza place, lol. Here are some ideas for myself and for you, since I'm sure I'm not the only one falling victim to the all white bread diet:

-FiberGourmet tomato bisque pasta with feta cheese
The company, FiberGourmet makes high fiber wheat pastas that taste just like the regular stuff but have over 14g of fiber per serving. This pasta makes me feel full and it's tasty, especially when I top it with my favorite sauce/topping combo. Instead of traditional marinara or tomato or Alfredo sauce, I love to top my pasta with Tomato Bisque soup. It has all of the Italian flavor of a tomato cream sauce but it is much healthier than a creamy sauce but offers more cheesy flavor and spices than straight up marinara. Then I top it with a small sprinkle of low fat feta cheese and let it melt on top. Yum!

-Teriyaki Tofu (or chicken) bake. Fill a square baking pan or casserole dish with a small layer of a mix of soy and teriyaki sauces. Then lay long cuts of tofu or pre-baked chicken cutlets in the pan so that they are half submerged in the sauces. Let the sauces bake into the tofu or meat at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. Serve either in lettuce cups, on brown rice, or with stir fried or steamed broccoli, sugar snap peas and carrots. Good stuff!

-Caprese flatbread. I like using Flat-out Flat breads (only 90 calories each and made with whole grain). These take less than 5 minutes to prep and only 10-15 minutes to cook so its perfect for my crazy schedule. I like to top these with soy or fresh mozzarella (never the regular stuff), diced or sliced tomatoes, low fat feta and basil. Low cal, high fiber, high protein and a perfect food for a snack, a meal or a post-workout pick me up.

-Crescent Burger-Moons. Ingredients: Boca vegan burgers (or if you like real meats you can use Bubba Burgers, Turkey burgers or anything that suits your tastes), Pillsbury crescent rolls, cream cheese. Roll the dough out from the can and spread cream cheese on the inside of the crescent rolls (laid flat). Slice the burger patty into strips and roll them up inside the crescent. Bake as directed. Enjoy as part of a meal or grab a few for the road on the way to work (you, know, so you...er I mean "I" don't spend all day noshing pizza).


I honestly think eating like this is going to do wonders for my energy levels, my fitness and muscle development and my overall health. Plus it's all delicious! Tomorrow night's dinner: Caprese flatbreads as an appetizer and Tomato Bisque pasta for me and ave before we head out dancing all night. That sounds like heaven, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment