Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Impulses and aspirations

So my mom called yesterday, and told me to write about something in my blog that she saw in the grocery store. A couple in front of her on line at the checkout was buying two packs of fresh, healthy sushi and two bottles of juice. Good on you, guys. HOWEVER, before they got to the cashier, though I'm not sure whether it was planned or spontaneous, they each grab a Little Debbie cake off the rack next to the cash register, completing their meals.
Part of me wants to chastise them for succumbing to those devious checkout temptations, but the other part of me is really okay with this. There has to be a balance. I'm not saying Little Debbie is healthy for you, and on some level, they did "ruin" their healthy lunch with America's favorite snack cake. But if you're going to balance an oatmeal cream pie with an eel and avacado roll and some Odwalla juice, I'd say that's a pretty good lunch.

What we do need to watch out for are all of life's little temptations, like the the grocery store check out line. Just because it's there doesn't mean we have to take it. Just because it's a buffet doesn't mean we have to eat till it hurts. And most importantly, just because it's fat-free or sugar-free doesn't mean we should the whole thing in one sitting. I guarantee you its not calorie free.

The other thing that's bugging me today is kind of related to temptation in that I am being swayed into a particular direction or another. I am a girl who has many goals, and I usually keep them in a hierarchy so I remember what's most important to me at any given time. Today, I came to realize that I'm missing one of the most essential aspirations a person can have: happiness. I get so caught up with everything that I want to do, like be a successful, healthy dance, finish school, and get my novel published, that I forget that being happy takes more than "do."

I'm not going to get into this right now, but I am going to tell you that whatever your goals are here, be it weight loss, toning, general health, etc, just make sure that these goals and what it takes to get there make you happy.

That's all for today. If I can get my head out my book tomorrow, I will have much more to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment